Pages

Whole 30 (post 2)

Saturday, May 23, 2015

I'm excited to share my most recent 10 days of doing Whole30 here. I'm seriously loving it. I may make this, WholeIndefinitely, except wine...I might need wine.


Day11: I love breakfast foods! It's so funny how that's changed over the years. I used to dread breakfast. After researching healthy eating, I quickly learned how important eating breakfast is and I learned to love eggs, veggies, bacon, oats, honey, etc. Thanks, paleo...it'll do that to you. This is eggs with veggies and spinach. It's been my go to during Whole30; it's filling, nutritious, and delicious...apparently my friend Barrett thinks so too. 

I eat throughout my workday and this is a very typical sight you'll see: 

I am sticking with my (6 days a week) Insanity Max:30 workouts this month and I'm loving this combo: I feel so great!

Day12: As I stated in the week prior, my family came into town, which meant a heck of a lot of eating out. I knew this would be interesting while doing Whole30...but thank God for google. If you google Whole30 _____ (insert restaurant name), you'll get a ton of answers. My parents opted for P.F.Chang's. I was able to order salmon with asparagus. There were about 5 overcooked asparagus under the salmon, so I ordered another side of them (see the difference?) I think that was just a bad night for the kitchen - hopefully it doesn't usually turn out that minimal! BUT the salmon was super yummy and easy to order. 


Day13: My family and I visited Lake Norman, which is beautiful! Right after I took this picture, I broke this cup on accident. I luckily, had already gotten quite a bit of that water in already!

Mid day snack: 

For dinner, of course, we went out again. The restaurant we ended up going to is new to town and I'd been wanting to try it. Let's just say I should've waited until I was done Whole30 - the bread, the wine list, the little cookies they give you at the end - it all looked incredible. But you know what the funny thing is about creating habits - they become your norm! It wasn't nearly as hard to resist the other stuff as it was just 2 months ago! I got a chicken (they call them "happy chickens" because they know where they roam before they're plated - which reminds me of a Portlandia episode, yeah, you know the one) with veggies. I ate every bite because it was so delicious - oh, and in case you're wondering, that's not butter....I made sure. 


Day14 &15: I got to go to Charleston for work...which I was super excited about BUT nervous about maintaining Whole30 while being away with new coworkers (who don't know my awesome healthy eating habits) eating meals that were premade for us but guess what, I succeeded in going the whole time and kept up with Whole30! For lunch, a group we were visiting had sandwiches made for us (without the toppings, which made things super easy)! I took cucumber and made "bread" and stuck turkey and veggies in between. They were the cutest little sandwiches but I couldn't snap a pic. That night, we did a boat tour cruise of Charleston. It was a buffet....and had an open bar...and had every type of pie you could think of (have I mentioned I LOVE pie!?) Well, I passed on the alcohol, I stuck with veggies and meat and it was perfect. I had a pecan pie Lara Bar (because I was hungry by the end of the night) and holy yummy delicious - only running to Lara Bars in dire need while Whole30-ing! 

The next day, for breakfast at the hotel, I had eggs and fruit...and of course, black coffee. For lunch, we went to a restaurant on the harbor (yay, somewhere I could pick my own food! I got salmon and broccoli and it was perfect!

When taking road trips (or, let's be honest, when I go anywhere ever) I have snacks with me. My lunchbox and I are BFF. 

Day16: My Saturday lunch included these delightfully colorful turkey wraps. 

For dinner, we made zucchini noodles with lemon chicken and kale. I'll be sharing this recipe on my blog this week. 

Day17:  Sundays are made for coffee...and meal prep! 

Do you know what my secret is? Meal prep. Not just normal meal prep, but I tend to cook chicken, and a ton of veggies, then I find different ways to incorporate different pieces to create different dishes. For instance, I used these grilled veggies later in the week for eggs (breakfast), and with chicken (dinner). 

I hurt my back in my workout the day prior but I listened to my body and decided to do some PIYO and all the stretching and downward facing dog-ing totally healed me from pain! Reason #59 I love PiYO. 

Day18: Monday, back to the grind! 
A sweet breakfast: half a sweet potato with almond butter, cinnamon, and sliced almonds. My mouth is literally drooling thinking about this now. You know what made this super easy (because who has time to cook a good breakfast on a Monday morning??) I had made the sweet potatoes already and they just needed to be heated up. Once they're heated, the almond butter melts so smooth!

For lunch: tuna salad with brocoli, spinach, and almonds. 
I am guilty of drinking too much LaCroix while on Whole30! It's a great alternative to many things - I now stick with the regular to avoid the flavored options. 
Day19: For lunch, I brought a salad with blueberries and chicken to work. (Oh, and gotta get that water in, thanks Tervis!)

Dinner was kind of a throw-things-together meal with chicken, avocado, mushrooms, and spinach. The second after I took this, I combined all of this and devoured it!



Day20: On Wednesday, I friend invited me over to go paddleboarding and of course, I said YES! We shared sparkling water and strawberries while floating in the middle of the lake. It was quite magical.


As if the morning wasn't great enough, my friend invited me over for lunch (knowing I was doing Whole30) and she created this colorful big salad for us. 

The difference between these last 10 compared to the first 10 is that I felt more in a rhythm. I wasn't needing to check every label anymore because I had already bought my groceries so I had a better understanding as to what was Whole30 compliant and what wasn't. I actually felt more motivated this week to continue this beyond the 30 days. I think part of me was super nervous about what I would do when eating out but it really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I always suggest looking at the menu before getting there and be clear to the waiter what you want - most are understanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment