Pages

Sugar

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

We all love cookies, brownies, and cupcakes right? I mean, when I hear 'sugar', sweets are the first thing that come to mind. Obviously, there are great healthy alternatives to our favorite sweets like fruit, dried fruit, juices, smoothies, etc. However, I bet you didn't know that there is sugar in practically everything on the grocery store shelf. Those condiments, that pasta, that peanut butter...heck, even that almond butter, those crackers,  those yogurts, that tea, that coffee drink, that soup, that deli meat. It's everywhere.

Okay, so sugar never killed anyone, right? Well, maybe, maybe not, but over time, it's definitely doing some harm to your body. Trust me when I say, go ahead, head on over to Sugar Bakeshop (located in Charleston)...get the cupcake, but please read further to educate yourself about the harm of sugar in our daily consumption.

Wait, you're telling me it's in practically everything...then why don't I see it on my ingredient list? Because there are a TON of hidden names for sugar. Here are, well, a few:



Why do I feel so strongly about sugar? After doing research on clean eating and after my first round of Whole 30 (found here), I wanted to learn more, so that I could understand what I was putting in my body and how it was impacting my energy, my sleep, my overall well-being. Not all sugar is created equal, however, all sugars will give you that 'sweet' flavor that will have you coming back for more (which leads to me to #1). 

Here's why I think you should try to avoid those ingredients up there^^^: 

1. Sugar is addictive. Don't believe me? Sugar causes a release of dopamine in the reward section of the brain, like a drug.

2. Bad sugars (like high fructose corn syrup) have no nutrients, and in fact do much more harm than good. Despite the 0 calories often associated with HFCS, it causes obesity, hypertension, high cholesterol levels, and can cause the liver to slow down or even stop the ability to breakdown toxins. Fake sugars contain a ridiculous amount of mercury which can cause damage to the nervous system and brain. 

3. Sugar is harmful to your teeth. 

4. Your liver can be overloaded on sugar. Your liver turns fructose into fat. We don't want a fatty body, just like we don't want a fatty liver -- which creates long-term serious problems. 

5. Sugar can cause insulin resistance....a leading cause of obesity, cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes, etc. 

6.  Too much sugar can lead to cancer, heart disease, and can raises cholesterol levels. 

Don't be overwhelmed. There are a TON of alternatives to these sugar-ridden foods, you just have to know where to look. 

Check out the 'Sugar Checked' app (found on iTunes). It's a free app that aims to bring awareness to consumers about hidden sugars in the food they purchase everyday. In the grocer, this app allows you to scan a barcode and it will give healthier recommendations. There are loads of no-sugar recipes. 



Still not convinced? Check your labels and let's chat. I'm here to help you break free from sugar! I run a free week-long no sugar group periodically online and you're invited. Just find me on Facebook or email me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment